A quick apology for the disorganization of our blog! MyNeChimKi’s Genealogical Services is going through a bit of a facelift. We’re hoping to have everything finished by the beginning of the new year… so please hang in there with us! In the meantime, we still wanted to make sure that we were providing you with all the up to date news & webinars. Our blog feed is the same so there should be no interruption in your subscriptions!
There area plethora of online learning opportunities this month to boost your genealogical knowledge! If you’re looking for software tips and tricks or you’re thinking about buying someone a DNA kit for Christmas, there’s something for everyone this month. And don’t forget… Daylight Saving time starts on November 6th! Fall back an hour and don’t miss any of these webinars!!
- 1 November 2011, 1:00pm EDT, Introduction to Genetic Genealogy at Family Tree DNA (FREE)
What is Genetic Genealogy? What tests are available and which one should I order? How much does a Genetic Genealogy test cost? Do I need to be a geneticist to understand my results?If you’re a complete beginner to Genetic Genealogy and want the answers to these questions and more, then this webinar is for you! Attendees will learn about the history of genetic genealogy, be introduced to DNA basics and inheritance paths, learn about the different types of DNA tests available for genealogy, and learn about resources that will help you make the most of your Genetic Genealogy experience. Focus will be on tests and products available through Family Tree DNA, and attendees will receive an exclusive discount on select tests from Family Tree DNA!
- 2 November 2011, 2:00pm EDT, Cracking the Case of Nathan Brown’s Parents (FREE)
Join Marian Pierre-Louis as she cracks the long-standing brick wall surrounding Nathan Brown’s parents (Geoff Rasmussen’s brick wall). Marian will share the analysis process she used to find Nathan’s parents.
Certain techniques, which you can apply to your own research, can be used to unravel difficult genealogical problems. Follow that up with primary documents to confirm the relationships and the mystery is solved.
At the end Marian will reveal – live – a big surprise about Geoff Rasmussen’s ancestry based on this new information.
Legacy Family Tree webinars host, Geoff Rasmussen, will undoubtedly be in a great mood, so there will likely be some fantastic door prizes given away. This is one webinar you will not want to miss.
- 4 November 2011, 2:00pm EDT, FamilyRoots Organizer System (FREE)
Researchers need a simple way to organize genealogy records. The FamilyRoots Organizer System is easy to understand, simple to set up, and simple to use. Join us to learn the system and find out how using Legacy you can color-code your families to coordinate with your paper files. This is the second in a series of webinars devoted to organizing your paper files. Not one filing system works for everyone, so we’re trying to present a variety of methods with the hope that one will resonate with you.
- 4 November 2011, 1:00pm CDT, DeedMapper: The Sledds in 1830 Kentucky ($8.00)
This webinar will discuss use of DeedMapper to plat properties in an 1830s era estate settlement in Kentucky. Users should have a basic understanding of land records. Focus will be on transcribing into DeedMapper, platting, laying out properties, and troubleshooting. Complete handout provided and current version of DeedMapper is used.
- 6 November 2011, 2:00pm CDT, The Missing 1840 Census Enumeration ($8.00)
A discussion of how land and census records were combined to determine that a “missing” couple from an 1840 census wasn’t actually missing at all. This problem-solving lecture focuses on organizing, troubleshooting and how the family was found. Family was from Delaware County, Ohio
- 8 November 2011, 8:00pm CDT, Searching the US Census at Ancestry.com ($8.00)
This session will discuss search techniques for the US Census at Ancestry.com (consider a free trial for practice if you don’t have a subscription). This session is not sponsored by Ancestry.com and the presenter is not an employee or contractor of Ancestry.com.
- 9 November 2011, 2:00pm EST, It Is Well With My Soul: Finding Ancestors Amid the Rubble of Disaster and Misfortune (FREE)
Our ancestors persevered in spite of disaster and misfortune so that we could be here today to tell their stories. Join webinar favorite, Thomas MacEntee, to Learn how to locate evidence of their experiences and how to add their first-hand accounts to that body of evidence. Horatio Spofford, author of the hymn It Is Well With My Soul, overcame immense tragedy, misfortune and disaster (the death of his only son, the Great Chicago Fire, a shipwreck which killed his four remaining daughters) to not only stay true to his values but to help others and still keep a positive outlook on life. How did our ancestors persevere and survive in the face of disaster – natural, manmade and financial – so that we could be here today to tell their stories? Learn how to not only locate your ancestors amidst the rubble, but give voice to their stories.
- 10 November 2011, 8:00pm CST, Search Techniques for the Bureau of Land Management Website ($8.00)
This session will provide an overview of search techniques for patents on the BLM site. Focus will be on problem-solving and search organization. Need to have a familiarity with rectangular survey system and land records.
- 14 November 2011, 7:00pm EST, Military Personnel Records (FREE)
Focus: the military records located at National Personnel Records Center and how these records can be accessed and by whom and some unique services we provide to help veterans and their families.
- 16 November 2011, 2:00pm EST, Creating a Sharable CD with Legacy and Passage Express software (FREE)
Want to share your work with the relatives? Watch how easy it is for Legacy users to create professional multimedia CD’s to pass around at your next family function. The Passage Express software (standard edition included with Legacy) includes slideshows, royalty-free music, an impressive menu designer, and lots more. It’s always a good idea to back up your work. Why not get your family excited about their ancestry at the same time? Who knows, you may get offers to help with your genealogy work! Join Passage Express developer, Jefferson Shupe, for this 90 minute webinar. We’ll also have great door prizes to give away!
- 17 November 2011, 1:00pm EST, Genetic Genealogy Demystified: Reading and Understanding Your Family Tree DNA Results, Part 1: Y-DNA ($10 for one session, $25 for all 3 Demystified webinars)
You’ve taken the plunge and ordered a genetic genealogy DNA test from Family Tree DNA, but now that you have your results, you don’t understand them? This webinar is for you! Join us to learn how to read and understand your Y-DNA results.
- 18 November 2011, 2:00pm EST, Celebrate the Holidays and Share Family History with Heritage Collector software (FREE)
Join Heritage Collector’s Kathleen Bitter as she shares great holiday ideas and teaches how to make: - Personalized Christmas cards
- Christmas letters and slideshows
- 12 month Family Calendar – a perfect family present for kids and grandchildren
- Storybook pages for the holidays
- Ideas to help you with your Christmas craft gifts All of this and more can be achieved using the Legacy add-on software, Heritage Collector. We’ll also have some great door prizes!
- 22 November 2011, 1:00pm EST, Genetic Genealogy Demystified: Reading and Understanding Your Family Tree DNA Results, Part 2: mtDNA ($10 for one session, $25 for all 3 Demystified webinars)
You’ve taken the plunge and ordered a genetic genealogy DNA test from Family Tree DNA, but now that you have your results, you don’t understand them? This webinar is for you! Join us to learn how to read and understand your mtDNA results.
- 29 November 2011, 1:00pm EST, Genetic Genealogy Demystified: Reading and Understanding Your Family Tree DNA Results, Part 3: Family Finder ($10 for one session, $25 for all 3 Demystified webinars)
You’ve taken the plunge and ordered a genetic genealogy DNA test from Family Tree DNA, but now that you have your results, you don’t understand them? This webinar is for you! Join us to learn how to read and understand your Family Finder results.
- 30 November 2011, 2:00pm EST, A Closer Look at Google+ (FREE)
This past July, Google users from around the world began registering for a preview of the new Google+ service. It wasn’t long before the genealogical community led the charge to adopt this new set of powerful tools. Our August webinar on Google+ set records for registration and attendance as family historians and technologists from more than 70 countries heard Paul Allen, Dan Lynch, and Mark Olsen formally introduce The Google+ Project to the worldwide family history community. In fact, the event attracted viewers from outside the world of genealogy too! In this updated webinar, Dan Lynch will step us through a closer look at Google+ and we’ll see how he and others are putting various features of the service to use for individual family history work, but also for societies and other organizations. As author of the award-winning book, “Google Your Family Tree” – Dan continues to share the benefits of Google and other technology offerings with family historians from around the world. You won’t want to miss this event!
To get the most up-to-date listing on genealogy webinars, subscribe to DearMYRTLE’s google calendar: GeneaWebinars